MEMORY VERSE: “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the first fruits of all thine increase” Proverbs 3:9
BIBLE PASSAGE: Exodus13:1, 12-15
First fruits are in various types. Our God asks us to give Him all and all we have o do is to submit. What we have to do is to submit. In this lesson, we want to know what first fruits are, how to give it and benefits of giving first fruits.
THREE CATEGORIES OF FIRST FRUITS
- The first fruit of increase- Prov 3:9-10 E.g. increase in salary. i.e. Difference between old and new salary
2. The first fruit of sacrifice- Gen 22:15-18. God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac his only son. This can be interpreted to mean your first salary in office or January salary. The difference between the first fruit of increase and the first fruit sacrifice is in divine response. In the first fruit increase, God promised that your barn will burst while in the first fruit sacrifice, your blessing will become global, they will be irreversible and they will extend to your generations yet unborn.
3. Redemption of the first male child- Exodus 13:13,34:20; Numbers 18:15-19
– The first male of an ass and first male children belong to the Lord
– The first male child can be redeemed with a price.
4. The first fruit is for the Chief Priest. Dedicating first fruit to God is a way of saying God, I thank you.
BENEFITS OF GIVING FIRST FRUITS
- In the first fruit increase, God promised that your presses will burst with new wines your barns will be filled with plenty- Prov 3:9-10
- In the first fruit sacrifice, God promised that through your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed. Gen 25:15-18.
- Abraham, our perfect example, and his seed were exceedingly blessed- Gen 22:17, Gen 24:25-26
- Hannah honored God with Samuel and God blessedff her with five more children-1Samuel 2:21
- Solomon honored the Lord with a thousand burnt offerings and God blessed him with wisdom and great material blessings- 1Kg 3:3-14